Friday, December 3, 2010

Duck Walk

Few things are as scary as walking in to a restaurant at 8 p.m. in Chicago on a Friday night and finding it empty.  My first thought was "what does everyone know that I don't?," but despite a few minor criticisms, I never really found out the answer to that question.  We originally ordered fish cakes and shrimp shumai for appetizers, but after the fish cakes arrived the other three decided to order pot stickers and leave the fish cakes to me.  Although these small, unusually red little cakes taste more like sponge than fish, I can't stay away!  In the end, we agreed that the pot stickers stole the show... they were really fresh and a little crispy on the outside from being pan fried, and came with a traditional pot sticker dipping sauce.

I ordered tom kha but I think they entirely forgot to add broth to the mixture, so the end result was a warm, overly sweet bowl of coconut milk with shrimp and vegetables that made me gag.  Edyth & Patti ordered lard na and goey see me, and each enjoyed their meal, but our friend Diane's entree caused her to eat with her nose plugged because she said it smelled like "hamster."  This led to a thorough investigation (ie. passing the plate around the table and taking turns smelling it) which abruptly ended when Patti realized the smell was probably the boiled chicken, since boiled chicken tends to have a "hamster" smell.  We are so weird.

Duck Walk is not the best BYOB Thai place in the city, but their super reasonable prices and great appetizers make it worth visiting.  Plus, we're pretty confident that no hamsters will be harmed in the making of your meal.

Duck Walk
1217 West Fullerton Avenue
Chicago, IL 60604
http://www.duckwalkchicago.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment