Monday, September 13, 2010

Mixteco Grill

The head chef at Mixteco - formerly one of Rick Bayless' sous chefs - is the mastermind behind this authentic Mexican restaurant in Lakeview.  What we ate:  guacamole, carne asada, and their conchinita pibill.

The guacamole was chunky and really fresh.  I overheard someone say it was the "best guacamole" they ever had even though I can't second that because I don't frequently order guacamole, so I don't consider myself an expert, though it was very good.  Their carne asada was made with ribeye, not the cheaper flank or skirt steak you will usually get when ordering this type of entree, and it was delicious.  Our waiter told us they only buy the best quality of meat... (I know you can't always trust waiters)...  but I believed him after I ate it.  The conchinita pibill had the right amount of spice and was also delicious. 

We heard they also have a great brunch... byom(imosas?)


Make a reservation - this place is pretty tiny. 

Mextico Grill
1601 West Montrose Avenue
Chicago, IL 60613
(773) 868-1601

No comments:

Post a Comment